The purpose of flux is to facilitate the soldering process. The main obstacles to a successful solder joint is an impurity at the site of the joint consisting of dirt, oils or oxidation. The impurities can be removed by mechanical cleaning or by chemical means, but the elevated temperatures required to melt the filler metal (the solder) encourages the work piece (and the solder) to re-oxidize. This effect is accelerated as the soldering temperatures increase and can completely prevent the solder from joining to the work piece. Some fluxes go beyond the simple prevention of oxidation and also provide some form of chemical cleaning (corrosion).
For many years, the most common type of flux used in electronics (soft soldering) was rosin-based, using the rosin from selected pine trees. It was ideal in that it was non-corrosive and non-conductive at normal temperatures but became mildly reactive (corrosive) at the elevated soldering temperatures.
Fluxes also act as a wetting agent in the soldering process, reducing the surface tension of the molten solder and causing it to flow and wet the workpieces more easily.
|Copper and Brass Soldering||J-STD-004 1NH1||#22|
|A Proven safe choice for copper, brass and nickel||J-STD-004 1NH1||#30|
|Organic Acid Flux for badly oxidized leads (similar to #30 but more active)||J-STD-004 ORM1||#40MM4|
|Stainless Steel Soldering Flux ( Super Active)||J-STD-004 1NH1||#71|
|Stainless Steel Soldering Flux||J-STD-004 1NH1||#75|
|Stainless Steel Soldering Paste Flux||J-STD-004 1NH1||#75 Paste|
|Aluminum Soldering Flux (Honey Flux)||n/a||# 1260|
|Soldering Flux for Stained glass, roofing and hobbyist ( low cost)||J-STD-004 1NH1||RubyFluid Flux|
|Soldering Flux for Stainless Steel and hobbyist ( low cost)||J-STD-004 1NH1||RubyFluid Flux SS|
|PCB Repair, Cell Phone Repair||J-STD-004 ORM0||SyberGel|
|Wave Soldering Flux: Water Soluble||J-STD-004 ORM1||#80|
Wave Soldering Flux: No-Clean, Alcohol Based for Lead-Free & Leaded Solders
|Wave Soldering Flux: No-Clean, VOC Free for Lead-Free and Leaded Solders||J-STD-004 ORM0||#420F-LF|
|Rosin Liquid Flux (Type R)||J-STD-004 ROL0 MIL-F-14256 Type R||#97|
|Rosin Liquid Flux (Type RMA)||J-STD-004 ROL1 MIL-F-14256 Type RMA||#99|
|Rosin Liquid Flux (Type RA)||J-STD-004 ROM1 MIL-F-14256 Type RA||#100|
|Rosin Tacky Flux - Water Soluble||J-STD-004 ROL1 MIL-F-14256 Type RMA||#8600|
|Rosin Paste Flux for Electronic and Electrical Repairs||J-STD-004 ROL1 MIL-F-14256 Type RMA||#135|
We have a full range of soldering and brazing fluxes including the popular fluxes from Superior Flux Company. If you need help choosing the correct please contact us!
- We carry aluminum solder paste and a lead free solder wire with a special flux core. We also have an Aluminum Soldering Flux.
- Firescoff Soldering Flux - Firescoff is a revolutionary heat activated ceramic spray coating. Firescoff combines a fire scale preventer, a heat shield, a high performance non-fluorinated soldering flux (for both hard and soft solder) and the convenience of easy removal.
- We have refillable flux pens for all your rework needs including no-clean, rosin and water soluble with Free Shipping.
- For leaded and lead free soldering. Fully activated. Offers superior fluxing ability. Instant wetting. After soldering, the rosin residue is non-corrosive, non-conductive, moisture and fungus resistant.
- We have a full range of Brazing Paste Fluxes from Superior Flux. Fluxes for silver brazing, jewelry soldering, aluminum bronze and a high temp brazing.
- PCB wave solder flux for Lead-Free and lead-bearing solders, and for spray and foam applications. VOC-free and alcohol-based No-Clean fluxes. High-activity, water-soluble wave solder flux.
- Fluxes for soft solders for industrial use(non-electronics): Plumbing, automotive and industrial applications, among others, typically use an acid-based flux which provides cleaning of the joint. When joining Stainless Steel to any other metal, an acid flux must be used. Our acid based Fluxes are the #22 and #75 These fluxes cannot be used in electronics because they are conductive and because they will eventually dissolve the small diameter wires.
- No Clean Fluxes should be used for PCB Rework and Assembly. Our low order tacky fluxes stay in place when applied and don't run all over the board